Week 3 Day 18: H.A.L.T.
"It is for freedom that Christ has set you free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery". Galatians 5:1
TRIGGERS AND TEMPTATIONS
Ponder: This weekend I struggled. The H.A.L.T. Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired triggers were all at play. My brain was on overload and I am not proud to share that it led to some conflict with my husband. Another trigger came into play; my husband also being on overload and tired. I am again not proud to admit that I let all of this get to me, I did not show the compassion and mercy that my Saviour always shows me. My flesh went into justification mode and the "I'm right, you're wrong" mode.
James 4: 1-2
What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.
1. I need now to really ponder this verse and ask God to soften my heart to receive from Him and confess sinful reactions.
2. If I have caused hurt and sinned against someone else I need to ask for forgiveness.
3. What can I practically do to avoid getting in such a state again? I need to begin by asking God to help me see the warning signs and also not ignore them (my failure this time, I was already sensing a downward spiral).
4. What desires were battling? It is good to begin to recognise some of these for future reference. I know I got over tired but that is not my husband's fault, or his place to solve it for me. I wanted this desperately. I needed to run to God for His help in solving the problem not place so much expectation on someone else. (Not easy to admit or even do in the heat of the moment). My husband can never take the place of my Saviour.
5. It is important to realise that the heightened emotions may take a time to calm down and they themselves may trigger you into continuing the conflict. Allow space and time. Rest, be alone if necessary.
6. Remember the enemy is prowling around like a roaring lion seeking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
Prayer: Lord, help me recognise the warning signs much earlier. Let me desire your ways above my own. Please forgive me, Lord. Please restore the joy in my soul. I need you, Abba. Amen
Challenge: Read the above verse from James several times today asking God what He wants you to know today.